Sunday, October 14, 2007

Landmarks and Legacy Tour

I was not able to make the tour this year, but last year's tour was so enjoyable that it left a lasting impression upon me. I learned so much that I never knew about Tallahassee. This was quite embarrassing for me and I hate to admit it because I am a Tallahassee native, but I have taken the history of this city for granted. I was shocked at how unfamiliar I was with much of the information our guide bestowed upon us. In that manner, the tour was especially interesting to me because I really felt connected to the stories the guide shared. Obviously I wasn’t around when the history was being made, but to know that I’ve driven past Marvin St. hundreds of times and never even knew about the area of Smoky Hollow really opened my eyes.

In addition to the unique Smoky Hollow houses, the few original Frenchtown houses really caught my eye. Growing up I had only ever been through the more rundown areas of the district, and those few houses were hidden away like glittering gems. The stories our guide told about the activism in the neighborhood were inspiring. Even though they may not have enough support to form a whole historical district, the fact that a few individuals want to preserve the past is always encouraging.

The cemeteries were also an interesting addition to the tour. I knew Tallahassee contained some very old cemeteries, but I was not aware of the history behind the establishment of Greenwood. I also enjoyed hearing about the May 20th celebration of the Union Soldiers in the Old City Cemetery. That was a real connection to the past which makes me feel like that important moment in history is still alive and not forgotten. However, the stories of such racial tension were uncomfortable to hear about, and that is what makes this tour still important and relevant today. These issues have not died and been buried with the soldiers in their graves, as the entire tour illustrated with different stories about race relations in the city. We should learn from these stories and strive to make a change in our community, both within the field of historic preservation and the tolerance and acceptance of diverse peoples and perspectives.

While I did realize that Tallahassee was established before the Civil War, I never equated that with Tallahassee being an area of plantations. Our stop at Goodwood was enlightening and also spectacular. I can’t imagine living in the splendor of those ornate rooms way back when! As beautiful as the area is, I was troubled that they hardly mentioned the slaves that worked the plantation. Maybe this is because they do not in fact know much about these slaves, but I would have liked to hear more about that aspect to give fair dues to all who lived at Goodwood.

Overall, I learned a great deal more than I ever expected to on this tour. While I griped all morning about waking up on a Saturday to do something school related, it could not have been more worth the experience. In fact I was so excited about learning more about historical Tallahassee that I managed to get a few more tours pamphlets from our guide and have since dragged some friends around on a self-guided historic tour!

No comments: